Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum
CLASS 46 Electric
TYPE - Co+Co HEAVY GENERAL PURPOSE -- 40 IN CLASS
Designed and built by Metropolitan Vickers Ltd., England, these locomotives are used for hauling passenger and goods trains over the severely-graded electrified sections between Sydney, Lithgow and Gosford. No. 4601 went into service in June, 1956, and the last one was ready by the end of 1958.
Buffing gear and couplers are attached to the bogie frames, which are linked by a specially-designed drawgear unit. Haulage stress is thereby confined to the bogies, the locomotive body being solely used to house the electrical control and braking equipment. This arrangement also facilitates the tracking of the bogies on curves.
The electrified lines beyond the Sydney suburban network operate at the same voltage as the suburban lines, viz., 1,500 volts D.C.
The specifications called for extremely powerful locomotives, for they were required to haul 400 tons (406 t) up a continuous grade of 1 in 33 (3.3 %) at 35 m.p.h. (55 km/h). Regenerative braking is provided to assist in holding trains on the steep and lengthy descents.
|Horsepower (max. from motors)||3,780 one hour rating||2819 kW|
|Horsepower (max. from motors)||3,400 continuous||2535 kW|
|Tractive effort, starting||48,400 lb/in2 at 20% adhesion||215294 N|
|Tractive effort, continuous||40,800 lb/in2||217073 N|
|Total weight||108 tons.||110 t|
|Maximum permissible speed||65 m.p.h.||105 km/h|
Text and photo of 4605 from Century Plus of Locomotives, © Australian Railway Historical Society, 1965. Used by permission.
More information and photos
NSW 46 Class Electric Locomotive (Sydney Electric Train Society)