Valley Heights Steam Tramway
STOP PRESS: The steam tram is back! (25-Aug-2005)
In 1879, steam operated tramways were introduced in Sydney, under the control of the Railway Commissioner. Similarly operated systems were later used in Newcastle, Maitland, Broken Hill and between East Maitland-Morpeth, Parramatta-Castle Hill, Campbelltown-Camden and Sutherland-Cronulla. The Sydney and Newcastle systems were eventually electrified but the others, including three isolated lines in Sydney, Sutherland-Cronulla, Arncliffe-Bexley and Kogarah-Sans Souci, were steam worked until their closure. The Campbelltown-Camden and East Maitland-Morpeth lines were eventually operated as light railways and used steam tram motors for a period of their existence.
The "motors" as the locomotives are called were of a standard design, introduced by the Baldwin Locomotive Works and 100 came from that firm. The remainder were built locally, either by contractors or in the Tramway Department's workshops.
|Cylinders||11 in x 16 in||279 mm x 406 mm|
|Driving wheels||3 ft||914 mm|
|Boiler pressure||130 PSI||896 kPa|
|Tractive effort||5700 lb||2585 kg|
|Total weight||14 tons 1 cwt||14.3 t|
Text from Century Plus of Locomotives, © Australian Railway Historical Society, 1965. Used by permission.
Sydney steam tram motor 103A, built 1891, operated at the Parramatta Park Steam Tramway until the arson attack at the museum in June 1993. The fire destroyed most stock, and 103A's wooden cab was incinerated at this time but the remainder of the loco was salvaged for restoration and moved to Valley Heights, where a new cab has been built. We expect restoration to be complete by September 2005.
More information and photos
Steam tram motor 1A Powerhouse Museum Collection