Blue Mountains, Australia, History
The first Europeans to set foot on Mt Wilson, in 1795, were Matthew Everingham, William Reid and John Ramsey. Everingham recorded:
Subdivided into 62 portions in the 1860's and put up for auction in 1870, Mt Wilson attracted little interest due to inaccessibility. But with the opening of Mt Wilson (later Bell) railway station in 1875, the land was sold within a year.
Being remote from the highway and several kilometres from Bells Line of Road, Mt Wilson and Mt Irvine were, and still are, quiet rustic mountain villages where the wealthy have their country retreats.
Today, Mt Wilson is famous for its cool-climate gardens. Some of these are open to public inspection year round, others in spring and autumn.
Unlike most of the Blue Mountains, Mt Wilson is capped with volcanic rock. Plant growth is luxuriant, with one area being known as the Cathedral of Ferns due to the many tree large ferns. Similar conditions exist on Mounts Irvine, Tomah and Banks.
The old Post
Office, Mt Wilson
Making the Way
| Add your Web site to Info Blue Mountains. Get
Copyright 1997-2003, David Martin,
except where other copyright applies.
Company & brand names are the property of their respective owners.
Established 1996 - originally "Blue Mountains Plaza".
Blue Mountains, Greater Western Sydney, NSW, Australia