take extreme care near lookouts & cliffs!
Carry drinking water, use sun protection.
Points of Interest & Access
- Times are only approximate.
- Kiah Lookout, Cliff Drive
- Follow Fern Bower Walk down to Leura Forest, Dardanelles Pass
& Federal Pass. Kiah Lookout to base of Scenic Railway via
Dardanelles & Federal Passes 3hrs, medium grade.
- Dardanelles Pass
- An alternate route from Leura Forest to the Giant Stairway,
which does not descend as far into the valley. Has more ferns
& bird life.
- Echo Point &
- Follow path from near the Information Centre at Echo Point,
& descend via the Giant Stairway
to Federal & Dardanelles Passes. Local buses connect with
Katoomba railway station. Echo Point to base of Scenic Railway via
Giant Stairway & Federal Pass 2hrs, medium grade.
- Katoomba Falls
- Cooks Crossing, bottom of Katoomba Falls. Expect large
numbers of people between here & the boardwalk.
- Katoomba Falls Reserve, Cliff Drive
- Descend to Federal Pass via Furber Steps.
- Scenic Railway, Cliff Drive
- The no-effort way out of the valley. Local buses connect with
Katoomba railway station.
- Mine, Boardwalk
- An historic display has been built at the entrance to a coal
mine adit, along with a boardwalk for viewing the rainforest.
- Site of a major landslide in the 1930's. Popular with rock
climbers who like sheer rock faces.
- Mt Rennie Tunnel
- Abandoned cable tramway
tunnel through to Megalong Valley.
From here to below the Ruined Castle, Federal Pass follows the
route of a horse-drawn tram.
- Golden Stairs
- Descend from Glen Raphael Drive on Narrow Neck.
- Ruined Castle
- Rock formation & site of nineteenth-century oil
- Mt Solitary & Beyond
- Experienced bush navigators only.
- * EB11 or
symbolises Explorer Bus stop number.
Keep Australia Beautiful!
Carry a bag for rubbish, avoid damaging anything!
Bushwalking in the Katoomba & Leura Area, NSW National
Parks & Wildlife Service. Aprox. $4.00 from information
centres & local shops.
Walking the Federal Pass - The First 100 Years, Jim
Smith. Held at Blue Mountains City Library.