Blue Mountains, Australia, History
|Key to colour coding|
|See also Development of:
|1788||First European settlement in Australia established at Sydney Cove.
|1789||Lt. William Dawes reaches a point several miles north of Faulconbridge and Linden.|
|1793||Capt. William Paterson explores up Grose River to vicinity of Wentworth Ck|
|1794||Henry Hacking followed an unknown route, probably reaching Kings Tableland.|
|1794||Governor Hunter succeeds Phillip.|
|1795||John Wilson, around this time, probably reached vicinity of Hartley.|
|Matthew Everingham reached Mt Wilson.|
|1796||George Bass followed Burragorang & Cox's Valleys, reaching a high point with a commanding view of the Kanangra Plateau.|
|1798||John Wilson explored, via Burragorang & Wollondilly Valleys, to Mt Towrang, 12km short of Goulburn.|
|1800||Governor King takes command.|
|1802||Francis Barrallier reached the Bindook Plateau, and a point 2km from the Great Divide.|
|1804||George Caley reached Mt Banks, just short of Darling Causeway.|
|1806||Governor Bligh, of "Bounty" fame, appointed to replace King.|
|1808||Bligh deposed in the Rum Rebellion. Ringleaders include Blaxland & Lawson.|
|1809||Lachlan Macquarie arrives to assume governorship.|
|1813||Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth crossed the Blue Mountains. Turned back at Mt Blaxland, just short of the Great Dividing Range.|
|1813||George Evans followed the same route, continuing on to the Macquarie River near Bathurst.|
|1814-15||First road over the Mountains, and on to Bathurst, constructed by William Cox.|
|1815||Military depot established near Glenbrook Lagoon.|
|Cox's "Weatherboard Hut" Store opens at Wentworth Falls.|
|1816||Military depot moved to Springwood.|
|1823||Collitts' Inn opens in Hartley Vale|
|Lawson's Long Alley supersedes Cox's Rd at Mt York.|
|Archibold Bell discovers new route. Becomes Bell's Line of Road.|
|1824||Lapstone zig zag road (now Old Bathurst Rd) supersedes Cox's Rd.|
|1825||Barnett Levey granted 900 acres at Glenbrook; named Mount Sion.|
|1827||James' Hut opens for travellers at Woodford.|
|1827||John Mills' Weatherboard Inn offers better accommodation on 100 acres at Wentworth Falls.|
|1828||Maj. E Lockyer begins Lockyer's Pass at Mt York. Abandoned 1829.|
|1830||Pilgrim Inn opened at Mt Sion by James Evans|
|1831||Pembroke's Hut, Lawson
Scotch Thistle Inn opened by Andrew Gardener on 20 acres at Blackheath
Shepherd and His Flock Inn, west of Katoomba
|1832||The Valley Inn opens in Valley Heights
The Woodman's Inn opens in Woodford, becomes Buss's Inn in 1855.
|1833||Mitchell's Pass & Lennox's Bridge become main route up Lapstone Hill.|
|Victoria Pass (near Mt York) opened.|
|1835||Stockade, became Bull's Camp in 1842. Between Linden & Woodford.|
|1837||The Late Lord Byron Inn, Blaxland|
|1840||The Blue Mountain Inn, Lawson|
|1843||Kings Arms replaces The Woodman's Inn, Woodford.|
|1844||Blackheath Stockade. Mounted Police Station and Lock-up in 1849.|
|1845||Springwood Inn opens|
|Springwood Military Depot closed|
|1849||Toll Bar & house, Linden; also Broughton's Waterhole (Mt Victoria)|
|1855||Police lock-up and mounted patrol depot, Woodford|
|1857||Toll Bar Inn, Linden|
|1860+||Kerosene shale mining commenced
in Hartley Vale.
Glen Shale Mine established in Megalong Valley.
|The Engineer's Track constructed up the Grose Valley.|
|1863||Welcome Inn opens at Mt Victoria|
|1865||Kerosene shale discovered in the Wolgan Valley|
|1866||One Tree Hill Post Office opened at Mt Victoria.|
|1867||Railway opens to Weatherboard (Wentworth Falls).|
|1868||Railway reaches Mt Victoria|
|1869||Railway reaches Bowenfels, near Lithgow, via the Great Zig Zag.|
|1870||Kerosene Inn / Meads Farm opened at Little Hartley.|
|1870||Mt Wilson - land put up for auction.|
|"Everton" built at Faulconbridge by the Hon. John Meeks by
local stonemason Paddy Ryan.
John Lucas MLA builds "Logi" above Lapstone Zig Zag.
Geoffrey Eager MLC converts Welcome Inn to a country residence, "Wyoming".
|1872||"Katoomba Coal Mine" registered by John Britty North|
|1875||Eager's Platform, later Valley Heights, opened for Geoffrey Eager.|
|1876||Henry (later Sir Henry) Parkes applies for land in what would become Faulconbridge.|
|Charles Moore MLA, MLC constructs "Moorecourt" at Springwood.|
|1877||"Numantia" built by Sir James Martin, former premier of NSW, on a large property at what would become Faulconbridge.|
|"Alphington" built by Sir Alfred Stephen MLC on land purchased from Sir James Martin.|
|"Metchley", followed by "Western House", built by Prof. Charles Badham on land purchased from Sir James Martin.|
|Faulconbridge Platform opened near Henry Parkes' "Faulconbridge".|
|1878||The Imperial Hotel, said to be Australia's oldest tourist hotel, opened at Mt Victoria|
|1879||The Comet Inn, named after a brand of kerosene, opened at Hartley Vale.|
|1880+||John North began mining shale at Ruined Castle.|
|1884||The Bridle Trail (Six Foot Track) surveyed. Katoomba to Jenolan Caves.|
|1886||"Yester Grange" built by John Smith at Wentworth Falls.|
|1888||Fairfax family residence built at Mt
Victoria. Later becomes Cooper's Hotel.
"Norwood" built at Blackheath
|1890||"Lilianfels" constructed by Frederick Darley at Leura|
|1892||The Chalet built at Medlow Bath|
|"Braemar" built for James Lawson Snr, at Springwood.|
|1897||Old Mt Victoria Post Office opened.|
Making the Way
Get a free Blue Mountains Touring Guide & Map
Add your Web site to Info Blue Mountains. Get included.....
Copyright 1997-2003, David Martin,
except where other copyright applies.
Company & brand names are the property of their respective owners.
Established 1996 - originally "Blue Mountains Plaza".
Blue Mountains, Greater Western Sydney, NSW, Australia